Join the Asthma Canada Member Alliance
The Asthma Canada Member Alliance (ACMA) is the community arm and voice of Asthma Canada made up of people living with asthma, parents/caregivers, healthcare professionals, and anyone who has been affected by asthma.
Established in 2007, ACMA serves in an advisory capacity with active volunteers to further the purpose of Asthma Canada’s programs and initiatives and increase awareness and education about asthma within Canada. With the help of ACMA volunteers, Asthma Canada aims to provide the patient perspective in asthma research, resources, and policy and strives to improve asthma care and quality of life for Canadians and their caregivers coping with asthma and respiratory allergies.
As a member of ACMA, you can:
- Promote public awareness of asthma and proper education and management for all Canadians with asthma and respiratory allergies
- Engage in crucial advocacy initiatives to improve public policy change which help protect the health, safety and well-being of those with asthma and allergies
- Encourage and support research with the collective goals of being able to better treat and manage asthma, and eventually eradicate the disease
- Receive ongoing support through services provided by Asthma Canada
- Receive Asthma Canada’s newsletter to stay up to date with the latest information and developments in asthma research and treatments
- Choose your own level of involvement and ways to engage
- Participate in community events
- Connect with other Canadians with asthma and/or respiratory allergies and gain a sense of community
We thank the 3,000+ members across Canada for helping us achieve these incredible steps forward:
- Created the Asthma Patient Bill of Rights to empower all people living with asthma and allergies to understand their responsibility to properly manage their disease and lead a happy, healthy life.
- Trained nearly 200 Asthma Ambassadors to offer peer-to-peer support and grassroots community outreach to connect Canadians with our work.
- Hosted numerous patient-centred meetups across the country including in Quebec City for World Asthma Day and Toronto for Patient Breathefast.
- Raised over $75,000 raised through Team Asthma program, linking exercise and healthy living with fundraising efforts in runs and walks across the country.
- Created the Speaker Series Webinars, an ongoing patient education webinar series.
- Improved clean air and a healthier environment through advocacy campaigns to push for the elimination of coal-fired electricity generation in Ontario and Alberta as well as federally.
- Improved access to medications in schools for children with asthma, including the passage of Ryan’s Law in Ontario.
- Produced the Best Practices for Asthma Management in Schools, a guiding document for students, parents, teachers and school administrators.
- Supported patient evidence submissions to CADTH (Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health) for new medications and treatments for asthma and respiratory allergies.
What ACMA members are saying: